- Report Concern
- Student Conduct
- Student Support
- Education & Awareness
- About Us
Happy 21st Birthday!
Happy 21st Birthday from OSU!
Many 21st birthday traditions can be risky and dangerous. Avoid these traditions to have a safe birthday. Remember, you are celebrating 21 years, not "21 beers."
21 Shots on Your 21st Birthday
Consuming 21 shots of alcohol in one sitting is dangerous and deadly. Drinking an excessive amount of alcohol in a short period of time will increase your risk of alcohol poisoning.
Going from bar to bar down on the Strip can increase your alcohol consumption to a risky level. Consider visiting establishments that serve food. Have a bite to eat instead of drinking non-stop.
Drinking a shot of beer every minute for an hour or drinking as much as you can in an hour is not a smart way to drink. One shot of beer every minute for an hour is equivalent to 7.5 beers.
It is legal to enjoy alcohol on your 21st birthday, and beyond, but please make sure to be SMART.
Know the Signs of Alcohol Poisoning
- Person is difficult to wake.
- Person can’t stand alone.
- Mental confusion.
- Slow breathing (less than 8 breaths per minute).
- Heart beats irregularly or stops.
- Skin may be cool, blue or pale
- Person vomits or seizures.
If You Identify Any Signs of Alcohol Poisoning
- Call 911.
- Do not leave the person alone.
- Turn person on his/her side.
- If they are not breathing, perform CPR.
- It is dangerous to assume the person will be fine in the morning or will be able to "sleep it off."
Think Before You Drink
- Plan ahead. Before you drink, set limits and designate a driver. Stick to your plans.
- Eat a healthy meal before you drink. Snack throughout the evening.
- Alternate non-alcohol drinks or water between alcoholic ones.
- Avoid drinking games.
- Stay in groups and don’t leave anyone behind.
- Slow down; never drink more than one standard alcohol drink* per hour.
- Don’t mix alcohol with prescription, over-the-counter or illicit drugs.
- Never leave your drink unattended or accept an open beverage from a stranger.
- Know that it takes two hours for the body to process one standard drink*.
*A Standard Drink Contains about 0.5 oz. of Alcohol
12 oz. domestic beer = 10 oz. microbrew beer = 10 oz. wine cooler = 4-5 oz. wine = 1.25 oz. shot (80 proof) = 1.0 oz. shot (100 proof)